Every man loves a good old fashioned Classic Apple Pie. This recipe is from Chef Radha Ickrath who says, not only will he enjoy it, but so will the kids and grandkids!
For Pastry Recipe
- 2 cups plain filour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 160 g of cold butter
- 3 tablespoons of coconut sugar
- 1/4 cold yogurt
- Milk for glazing the top of pie
- Peel and core 8 green apples
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Preheat fan oven at 180 degrees.
2. Sift and mix in the baking powder to the flour. Cut the cold butter and mix into the flour. Crumble it until it resembles bread crumbs.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the yogurt with the sugar, then slowly add to the flour mixture. Bring it together and form a dough. It’s important to add it - a bit at a time whilst bringing the dough together and set aside.
4. Prepare the apples, peel, core and slice, place in pan with cinnamon, maple syrup, and vanilla on medium heat with a lid. Cook until tender, but not mushy.
5. Rollout 2/3 of the pastry, place in a greased pie tin and fork several holes, then bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Remove from oven, put the apple mixture into the pie. Avoid putting excess liquid from the cooked apples.
7. Roll out the remaining pastry and place on top of apples, glaze with milk using pastry brush and sprinkle with coconut sugar.
8. Cook pie for a further 20 minutes. Enjoy with some vanilla ice cream!